And here's how to become one of our amazing tutors:
1. Attend an orientation.
This is a chance to learn more about what we do and to see if the Literary Council is right for you. Orientations are held the second Wednesday of every month from 11AM - 12PM and by appointment as well. Please fill out the form below to schedule your orientation.
2. Complete our Tutor Training Workshop.
Training courses are offered throughout the year. Call 828-696-3811 for more information.
3. Receive your student assignment.
- Matches with students are based on both of your preferences.
- We ask you to commit to two 1.5 hour sessions per week with your student.
- All instruction takes place in a public setting (the Literary Council office, a library, etc.)
- You will tutor your student in either our Adult Basic Education (ABE) Program, teaching reading and writing to someone whose native language is English, or in our English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESL) Program.
Blue Ridge Literacy Council provides volunteers and students with free materials and support as you work. Most of the books we use have excellent Teacher's Manuals that take you step by step through each lesson.
Sign up for your tutor orientation below!
In the comments section, please indicate your preference for either the next Wednesday session or a scheduled appointment. If you prefer an appointment, please provide your weekly availability as well. After submitting the form, you'll be contacted via email or phone in order to confirm your orientation time.